is a town
and civil parish
in the Selby
district of North Yorkshire
, situated close to Selby
. It is one of only three places in the area to be explicitly associated with the ancient Celtic
kingdom of Elmet
via featuring the kingdom's title in its name, the others being Barwick-in-Elmet
. According to the 2001 census, Sherburn has a population of 6,221.
The village is of ancient establishment, possibly with Roman origins and was part of the wapentake
of Barkston Ash
in the West Riding of Yorkshire. The field adjoining is the site of the palace of kings of Elmet, which was given (with the manor of Cawood
) by Athelstan to the Archbishops of York on his conversion to Christianity in or around the 10th century.
The church itself is unusually large for a village parish church and dates from around 1120, with Norman pillars and a later-built large tower housing a ring of eight bells. It was built on the site of an earlier Saxon church. The Battle of Towton
was fought nearby in 1461 and local legend tells that King Edward IV used the church tower as a point for surveying the battle lines. This is indeed a legend as due to the topography of the land and the weather conditions on the day of the battle, it is not possible to see the battle ground from the tower. The church is now home to the church cat, Jess, who moved in during early 2006 and has become a favourite with the congregation. .
During the English Civil War
, the... Read More