Sherwood was founded in July, 1867. This project was the brain-child of a Dr. Condon, Mr. H.S. Reid and others and under the patronage of the Rt. Rev. Robert Milman, DD, the seventh Metropolitan of India. The idea took shape as the Nainital Diocesan School, as Sherwood was once called.
Appeals to the public for funds was overwhelming, and a mixed school under Miss Bradbury was started at 'Petersfield'. The success of this early beginning was reflected in the large-scale rejection of applications for admission, and the direct outcome of this pressure on the school was to separate the girls from boys, the latter shifting to 'Stoneleigh' in the vicinity of the Ramsay Hospital.
To quote that authoritative work, E. Atkinson's 'The Himalayan Gazetteer' of 1882: 'In 1872 the number of pupils increased to 100, but still many applications were refused in consequence of the want of accommodation: The Committee then appealed to the general public for aid in erecting proper school buildings and met with generous response.... In 1873 the Sherwood estate with house and magnificent grounds was purchased by the committee for the boys school and is perhaps the finest site and establishment of its kind in India. The report of the examiners show that both in the internal economy and in the character of the instruction imparted, the Diocesan schools thoroughly fulfill the... Read More