The building "...was erected in 1798, under the will of the late Nathaniel Kay, for educational purposes. Many of the leading citizens of Newport attended school in this house." The Shiloh Church was an African American Baptist congregation founded nearby in 1864 and..."n 1868...the members of Shiloh Church availed themselves of the opportunity to purchase their present house of worship, on the corner of School and Mary streets, from the Trinity Church corporation, at a cost of $2,000." The church building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
<gallery>File:Shiloh Baptist Exterior.jpg|Shiloh Baptist Church exteriorFile:Shiloh Baptist Interior.jpg|Shiloh Baptist Church interiorFile:Paster Jeter Shiloh Baptist Church.jpg|Pastor Henry Jeter</gallery>
(University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, Documenting the American South) (accessed Sept. 9, 2010)