The Silver Star Carousel was the last carousel built by William Dentzel of the Dentzel Carousel Company in Philadelphia. It was originally erected near the municipal boardwalk at Rockaways' Playland Amusement Park on Long Island, New York in 1928. Dentzel owned the ride and a good friend of his operated it as a concession when it was first built. When Dentzel died in March 1928, Rockaways' Playland purchased the carousel from his estate, and operated it until 1937. In that year the carousel was put into storage until 1945. It was then put back into operation at Rockaway’s until it was purchased for $25,000 by Six Flags in late 1962.
The Silver Star Carousel features 50 jumping horses, 16 standing horses, and two chariots featuring dragon carvings. The horses and chariots are all wooden and hand carved.
The Silver Star Carousel is now at Six Flags Over Texas and opened in 1963. The ride was originally named the Boomtown Carousel. Because of the ride’s historical background, the Texas Historical Commission declared the ride an official historical site in 1966. In 1988, the Silver Star Carousel reopened after a three-year renovation period. At that time, the name was changed and the ride was moved from its location in Boomtown to the Front Gate 'Star Mall' area.