The High Court of Sindh
is the highest judicial institution of Sindh
province. Established in 1906, it is situated at provincial capital Karachi
. Apart from being the highest Court of Appeal for Sindh in civil and criminal matters, the Court was the District Court and the Court of Session in Karachi.
On 21 August, 1926 the Sindh Courts Act (Bom. VII of 1926) was passed into law-making provision for the establishment of a Chief Court for the Province of Sindh. On the coming into operation of Part III of the Government of India
Act, 1935, on 1 April, 1937, Sindh became a separate Province and the Judges of the Court of Judicial Commissioner of Sindh were appointed by Royal Warrant by the British
At the time of establishment of the High Court of West Pakistan
the number of the Judges of the Karachi
Bench was almost the same but subsequently it was increased to 15 and on separation of Sindh
& Balochistan High Court
's 12 Judges were allocated to the Sindh High Court and 3 Judges to Balochistan High Court
. The present approved strength of Judges is 28. However, the number of Judges appointed is 24.
The construction of existing main building was commenced in 1923, at an estimated cost of Rs. 39,75,248 but it was completed on 22-11-1929, at actual cost of Rs. 30,35,000. This building which was meant for 5 Judges with some provision for expansion in 1929 is now accommodating Benches in, Court Rooms and 18 Judges in Chambers. Some Judges have to hold Courts in Chambers.... Read More