The Society of Clerks Secular of Saint Basil
(SSB) was an organization of Western Rite Orthodox
Christians which was absorbed by the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America
and was later reestablished out the bounds of canonical orthodoxy.
, at one time the canonical Bishop of Brooklyn, consecrated Ignatius (William Albert) Nichols to be auxiliary bishop of Washington with a specific mission to perform Western Rite work. Nichols founded the Society as a devotional society based around the recitation of the Western Breviary and the promotion of Western Rite Orthodoxy. When Aftimios was de facto deposed following his marriage, Bp. Nichols and the Society (along with what remained of the American Orthodox Catholic Church) entered into schism with him.
In 1939, Nichols consecrated Alexander (Paul Tyler) Turner, a former Episcopalian and Old Catholic priest, as a bishop. Turner founded a small Western Rite parish (St. Sophia) in Mount Vernon, NY
. It was Turner who replaced Ignatus when he died in 1947 since Turner was the only Western Rite bishop at the time. The headquarters for the Society also moved to Mount Vernon. A small publishing arm was begun, and Turner began publishing a periodical entitled Orthodoxy.
In 1958, Metropolitan Anthony
of the Antiochan Archdiocese of North America promulgated an edict describing the desirability of a Western Rite movement within canonical orthodoxy. Unbeknownst to others, Turner had... Read More