Sorin Hall is one of the 29 Residence Halls on the campus of the University of Notre Dame
and one of the 15 male dorms. Sorin is located directly north of Walsh Hall
and is directly south of the Basilica of the Sacred Heart
. Sorin houses 151 undergraduate students. Its distinctive turret rooms on the four corners as well as its pure nobility distinguish it from all other campus buildings. Sorin Hall is also the location of "The Quint," one of the largest rooms at Notre Dame.
Sorin Hall was the first dormitory built at the University of Notre Dame
and is named in honor of Fr. Edward Sorin
, CSC, who founded the University. Construction of the Hall began in 1888 and the hall opened in early 1889. The structure as it exists today was completed in 1897 with the addition of two wings. In its early years, Sorin housed Notre Dame's law school. Sorin's chapel is dedicated to St. Thomas Aquinas
. Notable former residents include former coaches Knute Rockne
, Moose Krause
, and player George Gipp
. All four of the famed Four Horsemen of Notre Dame
( Harry Stuhldreher
, Don Miller
, Jim Crowley
, and Elmer Layden
) lived in Sorin Hall for at least one year during their college careers. Former university president Fr. Edward Malloy
, C.S.C., currently resides in the hall.
In 1988, Sorin Hall celebrated its 100th anniversary as a Notre Dame residence hall.
During the Vietnam War, the men who resided in this dorm briefly decided to break away from the University of Notre... Read More