Thee legal and geographic border between the Australian
states of South Australia
was proclaimed in 1836 by Imperial Statute
'as the 141st degree meridian of longitude east of Greenwich
'. Due to human error by numerous explorers and surveyors, it took more than 75 years and protracted legal dispute, before its physical resolution in the forfeiture of more than of territory from South Australia to Victoria. In 1914, after a successful appeal to the Privy Council
a sum of £215,000 was awarded to the state of South Australia and the legal dispute was ended.
Following the establishment of the colony of South Australia in 1835, the region between the coast and the Murray River
was rapidly being settled by squatters
selecting large runs for sheep grazing. With no clear border legal oversight was impossible. An accurate border needed to be defined. The earliest relevant reference to the eastern boundary of South Australia is contained in a despatch dated 30 September 1844 from Governor Grey
of that Colony to Lord Stanley
. The Governor reminded the Secretary of State that it would be extremely difficult to determine with accuracy a number of points upon the earth's surface through which the 141st degree of East longitude passes, and pointed out that in addition to difficulty there would be attendant expense both in ascertainment and maintenance.
In 1839 Charles Tyers
was transferred from the Royal Navy
to the Colonial Service and instructed by Sir......