The South Circular Road
() is a road
, one of the longest in the city. It runs from Kilmainham
in the west of the city, through Rialto
and Dolphin's Barn
, near the centre. As it runs mainly through residential areas, it is used by numerous bus routes.
Until the early 18th century most of the area covered by the road was countryside. The site of Griffith Barracks
was originally known as Grimswoods Nurseries. The first buildings on the site were those of a Remand Prison or Bridewell begun in 1813 by the architect Francis Johnston
. It was then known as Richmond Gaol and later became Wellington Barracks. Now the Griffith Barracks are part of Ireland's largest private college, Griffith College
Residential development of the South Circular Road began in earnest at Portobello around 1860 when estates such as Emorville and Portabello Gardens
Harrington Street (St. Kevin's) Catholic church was completed in 1871, and the Church of Ireland
St. Kevin's in 1883. The Donore Presbyterian Church
(now the Dublin Mosque
) was built in 1884 (in the 1860s).
In 1887 Richmond Gaol was transferred to the War Department
and became Wellington Barracks.
The first Jews fleeing conditions in Lithuania (then part of the......