The South East London Synagogue
was established in 1888 by Ashkenazi
Jews who had immigrated from Eastern Europe
. It was refused membership of the United Synagogue
, but was admitted to the Federation of Synagogues
. Immanuel Jakobovits
was the rabbi just after the Second World War
The synagogue's first premisies was a house at 452 New Cross Road, New Cross
. It then moved to Nettleton Road, followed by a hut in Lausanne Road in 1889.
The first purpose-built synagogue was consecrated in March 1905 and was destroyed by a German air raid on 27 December 1940. After this the congregation moved temporarily to 117 Lewisham Way, returning to its original site at New Cross Road in 1946 - first to a temporary hut and then to a new purpose-built synagogue in 1956. During the period from 1945 to 1947 Immanuel Jakobovits
, who later became the Chief Rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregations of the Commonwealth, and was created a life peer in 1988, as Baron Jakobovits, was the rabbi.
After the closure of the synagogue, the building was left empty for a period and used by squatters. For a while it was used as a rehearsal space for local bands and performance artists including Test Department