From 4 April 1865 a ferry service was established between the South Ferry Basin and New Ferry on the Wirral Peninsula, with additional sailings to Liverpool Pier Head. Facilities at the basin consisted of a pontoon moored against the dock wall. The "South End" service appeared to be relatively short-lived, as by 1876, these facilities had been removed and sold for scrap.
This small dock was also known locally as the 'Cocklehole' and was a place that Liverpool ceded to the poor cocklefishers and oystercatchers for the mooring and repair of their boats whilst the main port of Liverpool handled the large trade. The dock is open to the river and is currently heavily silted up. It isn't used for anything.
Although the basin remains unaltered, the surrounding area has since been redeveloped for residential purposes.