South Liverpool F.C.
are a football
club from Liverpool
. They are currently in the West Cheshire Amateur Football League
and play their home matches at Jericho Lane
. The club's colours are white shirts, black shorts and red socks.
A South Liverpool F.C. team was founded in the late 1890s when the African Royal football club was renamed, under the direction of W.J. Sawyer and relocated to Dingle in South Liverpool.
The team played in The Combination
and the Lancashire League
before joining the Second Division of the Lancashire Combination
in 1911. The club were promoted to the First Division in 1913, but the competition was suspended during the First World War
By 1914 W.J. Sawyer was Secretary and Managing Director with the team playing at Dingle Park in the Lancashire Combination Division 1 with the likes of Chester City, Tranmere Rovers and Accrington Stanley. He was persuaded to become Hon. Secretary of Everton in 1918 and remained on the Toffees' board for a decade. Latterly he was Secretary-Manager of New Brighton in the 1930s.After the war, the club played for two more seasons before folding and being reborn in 1921 as New Brighton
South Liverpool F.C. reappeared in 1935, playing at Holly Park
. They rejoined the Lancashire Combination with immediate impact, winning it three years running in 1937, 1938 and 1939. After World War II
started, the club joined the Western Section of the Cheshire County......