The South London Botanical Institute
was founded in 1910 by Allan Octavian Hume
, a former civil servant for the British Raj
. After returning to England
in 1894 Hume turned his attention to horticulture
, which eventually led him to create the Institute in a large Victorian house in Norwood Road, near Tulse Hill
, South London
, to provide an environment where anyone interested in plants, whether amateur or professional, could meet to develop their knowledge of botany
The institute's library has an extensive collection of botanical books, monographs and journals. The institute also has an extensive herbarium
with a collection of dried, pressed plants from Britain and Europe, mounted on sheets accompanied by collecting details, to help members name or identify plants correctly. There is an active programme of talks, practical courses, and field excursions.
It maintains a small botanic garden
containing examples of over 500 species.