South London Gallery
, founded 1891, often known by the acronym SLG
, is a public-funded gallery of contemporary art
, London - exhibitors have included Alfredo Jaar
, Ryan Gander
and Chris Burden
. The Director is Margot Heller.
The gallery traces its origins back to the South London Working Men's College at 91 Blackfriars Road in 1868, whose Principal was the biologist Thomas Henry Huxley
, the grandfather of Aldous Huxley
; the Manager was William Rossiter. In 1878 the College relocated to 143 Kennington Lane, where a Free Library was also opened. In 1879 Rossiter staged an art show of privately owned works at the Library. After this the name was changed to the Free Library and Art Gallery. In 1881 the library and gallery moved again to New Road, Battersea, and in 1887 to 207 Camberwell Road.
Leading artists such as Sir Frederic Leighton
, President of the Royal Academy
, Edward Burne-Jones
and G. F. Watts
supported the institution; the Prime Minister, William Ewart Gladstone
, was its first president, succeeded by Leighton in 1887.
On May 4, 1891, The South London Fine Art Gallery opened in Peckham Road in a new building in the grounds of Portland House, whose freehold Rossiter had purchased. In 1893 the Prince of Wales
officially opened a lecture hall and library funded by newspaper owner John Passmore Edwards
. In 1896 the Gallery was relocated at the Vestry of Camberwell. In 1898 Royal Academy President, Sir Edward......