South Woodford tube station
is a London Underground
station on the Central Line
, between Snaresbrook
in Zone 4.
The station opened as South Woodford (George Lane)
on 22 August 1856 as part of the Eastern Counties Railway
branch to Loughton
, which was eventually extended to Epping
in 1865. The station then formed part of the Great Eastern Railway
's system until that company was merged into the London & North Eastern Railway
(LNER) in 1923. The station was subsequently transferred to form part of London Underground's Central Line from 14 December 1947. This formed a part of the long planned, and delayed, Eastern Extension of the Central line that was part of the London Passenger Transport Board
's "New Works Programme
" of 1935 - 1940.
The station underwent considerable renovations in 2006, 150 years after its first opening.
The suffix "George Lane" has been officially dropped since 1947, upon transfer to the Underground, but is, unusually, retained on the station's nameplate roundels.
It was once suggested that the Victoria Line
could be extended to Woodford or South Woodford stations.
London bus routes 179, 549, 679, W12, W13, W14, N55 and orther routes 958.
騒斯烏霍站 Read More