(), also known as Kiev General Governorate
or Kiev, Podolia, and Volhynia General Governorate
() was a subdivision (a krai
) of the Russian Empire
that included much of the territory of modern-day Ukraine
covering both banks of the Dnieper River
The Governorate General
consisted of several governorates
) and, unlike the gubernia's whose senior position was held by a civilian person, the Governor General
on top the General Governorate held was a high-ranking military officer.
The Southwestern Krai consisting of three gubernias
, the Volhynia
, the Podolia
and the Kiev Governorate
, was originally incepted on January 22, 1832 when Vasily Levashov
, was appointed the Military Governor of Kiev and the General Governor of Podolia and Volhynia.
From 1881 the territory of the Governorate General was de facto
expanded to five Gubernias as Governor General Alexander Drenteln
was also appointed the temporary Governor General of Chernigov
In 1889 the Governorate General original jurisdiction of only three gubernias was restored. It existed in this form until 1915 when the territorial unit was abolished. Fyodor Trepov
was the last General Governor of Kiev.
In 1912 the Kholm Governorate
, a former governorate of the Congress Poland
, was detached from it, and attached to the Kiev General Governorate.
Паўднёва-Заходні край Read More