(pronounced "Suth-ick") is a small village and civil parish
. It is approximately north of the town of Oundle
and is set in a valley of the river Nene
. The village falls within the Non-Metropolitan District of East Northamptonshire
, which itself lies within the East Midlands region
. At the time of the 2001 census
, the parish's population was 180 people.
Excavations were carried out at Southwick in 1996 and the results were published in a paper in Northamptonshire Archaeology
. Excavations of two closely connected sites produced evidence of thriving iron-smelting industry in the village in the 10th century. A medieval
stone hall dating from the mid-13th century, which may have been a manse owned by St. Mary's Priory, Huntingdon
, was subsequently converted into a kitchen and brewhouse before being relegated to use as an outbuilding for the 16th century Vicarage Farm. In the north-west of Southwick parish there is a chalybeate
spring; during the 17th century its medicinal properties were recognised and bathing facilities were constructed.
The manor of Southwick, and Southwick Hall
The first mention of a Knyvett at Southwick is in 1194. The Knyvetts were in the village for... Read More