Soviet Census (1989)

Soviet Census (1989)

Soviet Census (1989)

to get instant updates about 'Soviet Census (1989)' on your MyPage. Meet other similar minded people. Its Free!

X 

All Updates


Description:
The 1989 Soviet census, conducted between January 12-19 of that year, was the last one conducted in the former USSR. It resulted in a total population of 286,730,819 inhabitants.This is the total "de facto" population (nalichnoye naseleniye – наличное население); the "permanent" population (postoyannoye naseleniye – постоянное население) was about 1 million persons fewer. Over time, the State Statistics Committee changed its method of reporting population totals in censuses. In the 1959 and 1970 censuses, it used the permanent population; in 1979 and 1989 it used the de facto or present population. See Barbara A. Anderson and Brian D. Silver, "'Permanent' and 'Present' Populations in Soviet Statistics," Soviet Studies, Vol. 37, pp. 386-402, July 1985. Not only in that year, but during its entire nearly seven-decade existence, the country ranked as the third most populous in the world, above the United States (with 248,709,873 inhabitants according to the 1 April 1990 census), although it was well behind China and India.

Some details

In 1989 about half of the Soviet Union's total population lived in the RSFSR, and approximately one sixth (some 18%) of in Ukraine. Almost two thirds (some 65.7%) was urban, leaving the rural population with some 34.3%. In this way, its gradual increase...
Read More

No feeds found

All
Posting your question. Please wait!...


No updates available.
No messages found
Tell your friends >
about this page
 Create a new Page
for companies, colleges, celebrities or anything you like.Get updates on MyPage.
Create a new Page
 Find your friends
  Find friends on MyPage from