Spalding Grammar School
, or as it is fully known The Queen Elizabeth Royal Free Grammar School Spalding
, is a selective school on Priory Road
for pupils aged 11–18.
It was founded in 1588 by Royal Charter
, applied for by the Revd Mr Johnson, and located within part of Spalding Parish Church, called St Thomas's Chapel, until the 19th century. It was founded on its current site in 1881.
Merger with Moulton Grammar School
In 1939, the school doubled in size, having amalgamated with Moulton Grammar School in Moulton
. Sir John Gleed was Chairman of the Governors from 1928-46.
Moulton Grammar School was founded under the will of John Harrox (died 1561) who was steward to Sir John Harrington of Weston. The School opened in 1562 with ten pupils and continued to educate boys from the district until it amalgamated with Spalding. The old school buildings still exist but are now private residences.
A large sports hall was opened by boxer Henry Cooper
in November 1993, and in January 2006 new buildings were opened for ICT, sociology, technology, English and drama (with a performing arts studio).The Modern Languages lab was also built at the same time as the new buildings were opened.In late 2009, a new Business Studies block, new staff room and atrium were also built.
It has a school magazine called The Bentleian
; copies dating back to July 1922 are in the school library.
In... Read More