San Juan Nepomuceno
was a Spanish ship of the line launched in 1765 from the royal shipyard in Guarnizo
). Like many 18th Century Spanish warships she was named after a saint (John of Nepomuk
). She was a solidly built ship of proven seaworthy qualities.
Her sister-ships were San Pascual
, San Francisco de Asis
, San Lorenzo
, Santo Domingo
and San Agustín
She was fitted with a total of 74 cannons: 28 24-pounders, 30 18-pounders, 8 12-pounders and 8 8-pounders, and was manned by 8 officers, 11 midshipmen, 19 leading seamen and 492 able seamen (530 total). Her supply capacity was for 60 days victuals and 80 days water.
She rendered numerous important services to the Armada (fleet), some of them in the Caribbean where she participated in several sieges and was distinguished in 1779.
In 1793, she took part in the Anglo-Spanish occupation of Toulon under the command of Admiral Don Juan de Lángara
. Four years later, in 1797, she was part of a Spanish fleet under Teniente General José de Córdoba
that fought against the British at the Battle of Cape St. Vincent
The Battle of Trafalgar
is the historical feat in which she participated and of which we have the best account. In spite of being dismasted by Admiral Nelson's artillery on the 21st October 1805, she achieved glory in this battle under the command of the famous Brigadier Don Cosme Damian Churruca
and constituted for the Spaniards a handsome example of the heroism of their nation and the bravery of their sailors.