Ganganagar District(In Hindi and Rajasthani:,In Punjabi:,) is a northern most district of Rajasthanstate in western India. The town of Sri Ganganagar is the district headquarters.
Named after Maharaja Ganga Singh of Bikaner, Sri Ganganagar District was part of Bikaner State. This was mostly uninhabited region. History of this district is testimony of vision and efforts of Maharaja Sri Ganga Singh who visualised and build Gang Canal after the Indian famine of 1899–1900. Waters of Satluj river were brought into the region through 89-mile long Gang Canal in 1927 and turned this region into a breadbasket of Rajasthan.
Location and area
Sri Ganganagar District is locate Between Latitude 28.4 to 30.6 and Longitude 72.2 to 75.3 Total area of Sri Ganganagar is 11,154.66 km² or 11,15,466 hectares. It is surrounded by on the east by Hanumangarh District, (Hanumangarh district was carved out of it on July 12, 1994) on the south by Bikaner District, and on the west by Bahawalnagar district of Pakistani Punjab and on north by Punjab.
Although district Ganganagar lies in great Thar desert but irrigation by Gang canal and Ignp canal has changed flora and fauna.We can classify district into 4 geographical regions.
Region irrigated by Gang canal:northern region,which is 3/4 of District resembles like fertile plains of Punjab,but still some areas like area between......