<span id="coordinates" class="plainlinksneverexpand">Coordinates
The Church of St Peter and St Andrew
is an historic Church of England parish church
at Old Windsor
in the English
county of Berkshire
. It is located at the end of Church Road near the River ThamesBuildings of Old Windsor
Gilson, M Old Windsor, M.F. Gilson, 1995 ISBN 0953691209.
The church is first mentioned in extant records in 1216 and the parish registers
date from 1612. Restored and rebuilt in 1863, it still retains its original Early English
chancel and tower. Nikolaus Pevsner
, writing in 1975, described the wall paintings
as "a matter of wonder"Pevsner, N. (1975). Berkshire (Buildings of England, South)
. Harmondsworth: Penguin. ISBN 0140710302. The churchyard contains the grave of celebrated Georgian actress Mary 'Perdita' Robinson, Shakespearean
actress and alleged mistress
of King George IV
Levy, M.J. (2004). Mary Robinson
in Dictionary of National Biography
. Oxford: OUP. ISBN 019861411X although more informal services are also held at the church hall(St Luke's) in the centre of the village.
Note: The church experienced a fire on Easter Sunday morning, 24 March 2008. It is badly damaged.
<gallery>File:Church steeple and church-entrance and SS... Read More