St. Andrew's Church
聖安德烈堂) is located on 138 Nathan Road
. It is a church of the Anglican (Sheng Kung Hui
) Province of Hong Kong
and in the Diocese of Western Kowloon
. It is the oldest Protestant
church in Kowloon
. The church provides many services on Sundays. It has services in English and Putonghua
The idea of building an Anglican church
in Kowloon was first suggested in 1897 but no progress was made until 1904, when Catchick Paul Chater
offered $35,000 to finance the construction. The chosen site was next to a large garden area owned by Sir Paul, covering the area between Robinson Road (now Nathan Road
) and Austin Road.
Work began in November 1904, and was completed in 1906. The church was consecrated on 6 October 1906. It was built of granite and red brick in the Early English Gothic style.
This church was continuously used for Christian worship except during the period of Japanese occupation in the Second World War; it was used as a Shinto
shrine during that period.
In 1979, St. Andrew’s Christian Centre was built. The Centre now houses different Christian organisations. The Church was restored in 1959. The white spire on the bell tower is now gone.
The church was important to... Read More