St. Augustine's College
was an Australian Roman Catholic
secondary college in Yarraville
. It was opened in 1942, and manned and run by the Congregation of Christian Brothers
The school was particularly recognised in the city of Melbourne
for the strength of its sporting teams, and the sportsmen it produced. For example, six members of the 1954 VFL
premiership team (the Footscray Bulldogs
) were old boys of St. Augustine's, including Doug Reynolds
and Ted Whitten
.St. Augustine's CBC Yarraville, Old Boys' Association - 40 Year Memories
(Brothers Information Technology Services: Melbourne, 2004), p. 24.
The school was closed in 1972
, later to be reopened as St. Augustines Primary school. Following the withdrawal of the Christian Brothers, the Avoca Street Campus was taken over by the Sisters of St Joseph who proceeded to operate the site as an extension of their Altona West school, Mount St Joseph's. The handball courts and the down stairs class rooms of the other site were incorporated into the St Augustine's Primary School which had been in operation on an adjoining site since 1895. The upstairs classrooms were incorporated into Mount St Joseph's.
Following a review by the Sisters of St Joseph in 1975 it was decided that the campus was superfluous to their needs and this led to the opening of Yarraville Catholic Girls College which was operated by the parish of St Augustine's under the Canonical Administrator Fr. Nazzareno Fasciale.