SMK Tinggi St. David
, otherwise known as St. David's High School
, is a co-educational missionary secondary school in Bukit Baru
. The St. David's High School hockey
team has been the leading school hockey team in the state in recent years.
Dr (Mrs.) Ferguson David from Diocese Anglikan
, founded St. David's High School in 1912. She was also the founder of St. David's Hospital in Melaka; the hospital's service was ended and was replaced with a school, Sekolah Tinggi Cina. In 1956, Commander Hudson from the Christ Church Parish Committee had given a piece of land (5.5 acres) in Bukit Baru to be the site for this school. In the same year, the Director of Education (Dr F.J.A. Rawcliffe) with the permission from Allayarham Tun Abdul Razak, Minister of Education, started the project. The school was open by the end of the 1950s, but not in its actual campus; 160 Form One students met during the afternoons using the facilities of Malacca High School
that year. The next year, four years after the project was started, a three-story building, including toilets and canteen, was ready and opened by the Governor of Melaka, Tun Hj. Abd. Malek bin Yusuf. A few additional classrooms would be added over the next few years.
Three years later, the Form 4 classes were started with 29 students in the art stream and 23 students in the science stream. In 1964, for the first time, 55 students sat for the Cambridge exam in this school. The Melaka state... Read More