St. Francis Xavier Church
is located at 607 Sycamore Street, Cincinnati, Ohio
. This was the location of the first diocesan cathedral and the center of early Roman Catholic
life in Cincinnati. It was dedicated to St. Peter on December 17, 1826. "Christ Church" (founded 1819), the city's first Catholic church was located at Vine and Liberty streets. Its frame building was moved on wheels to Sycamore Street in 1826 to serve as the first seminary. Saint Francis Seraph Church
now is on the former site, on land purchased from James Findlay
St. Francis Xavier has existed as its own parish since 1845 when the cathedral was moved to Saint Peter In Chains Cathedral
at Eight & Plum Streets. The parish has been under the direction of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits
) since 1840. The present brick edifice with stone facing and ornate clock tower
was built in 1860.Xavier University
and St. Xavier High School
were founded next to the St. Xavier Church.
Today the church serves the downtown community.
<center><gallery>Image:StFrancisXavierChurch_sideview.jpg|St. Francis Xavier Church
Image:StFrancisXavierBlessedSacrament.jpg|Side chapel of the Blessed Sacrament
Image:StFrancisXavierPieta.jpg|Wooden carving of the Pieta
and image of Our Lady of Guadalupe
Image:St. Xavier Church and High School, 1831.jpg|St. Xavier Church, High School
, and College
- Cincinnati, a Guide to......