St. George Orthodox Church (Puthupally Pally) is a prominent church that belongs to the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church. This church is situated beside the Puthuppally-Changancherry road about a kilometre from the Puthuppally junction, on the eastern bank of the Kodoorar rivulet.
This Church is known for the intercession of its patron saint St.George. It is believed that the saint (called Geevargheese Sahada in Malayalam) protects believers against serpents, ailments, and any kind of danger in general.
The Church is also known for its rich traditions as well as its wealth. The sanctum sanctorum (madbaha) has ornate wall paintings and is intricately decorated. The church has a Golden Cross weighting around 450 sovereigns(Ponkurisu) which is only taken out for an annual festival every year where it is venerated by devotees.
Popularly known as Puthupally Pally or Puthupally Valiyapally, it was rebuilt, expanded and renovated five times during the past four and half centuries of its existence. This ancient church was originally built as a chapel (kochu pally) in the name of St.Mary in AD 1557 near Vazhakulam Hindu temple on a hillock which later came to be known as Kochupallikunnu. Eight decades later, in AD 1640 it was shifted and rebuilt in the name of Mar Bahanan Sahada at its present location at Elamthuruthi Kunnu.In AD 1750, the church was rebuilt in the name of St.George while retaining main portions of the... Read More