St. Gregory the Illuminator's Church
(, ) is a non-functioning Armenian Apostolic
church in downtown Baku
. It was built in 1887 and survived through the radical secular
age of Sovietization
. Unlike many places of worship that were subject to demolition throughout the Soviet Union
in the 1920s and the 1930s, St. Gregory the Illuminator
's Church remained standing, and religious services for the local Armenian
community were not banned. In 1990, during the exodus and deportation of theArmenian population from Azerbaijan (as a result of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
), the church was closed down.
Now the library of the church consisting of 5,000 books and manuscripts has been preserved, and the building underwent renovation in 2004. by Viktor Loshak
and Emil Guliyev. Ogonyok
. #28(5004). 9 July 2007. Retrieved 25 August 2007 As of now, its future status remains undetermined.