The Roman Catholic Cathedral Church of St. John
(Sint-Janskathedraal) of 's-Hertogenbosch
is the height of gothic architecture in North Brabant
. It has an extensive and richly decorated interior, and serves as the cathedral for the bishopric of 's-Hertogenbosch
has a total length of 115 and a width of 62 metres. Its tower reaches 73 metres high.
St. John’s Cathedral is a so-called ‘Kanjermonument’ (whopper-monument, loosely translated) and being such, it receives financial support from the Dutch government.
In 1985, it received the honorary title of basilica
from pope John Paul II
Originally, the cathedral was built as a parish church, but in 1559, it became thecathedral of the diocese of 's-Hertogenbosch.
A Romanesque church used to stand on the spot where the St. John now resides. Its construction is thought to have started in 1220 and was finished in 1340. Around 1340, building began to extend the church, from which its current gothic style came. The transept and choir were finished in 1450. In 1505, the romanesque church was largely demolished, leaving only its tower. Construction of the gothic St. John was finished about the year 1525.
In the year 1584, a fire broke out in the high wooden crossing tower
, more majestic than the current one. Soon the whole tower was set ablaze, and it collapsed upon the cathedral itself, taking with it much of the roof up to point where the organ was situated. In 1830, another fire damaged the... Read More