The St. Johns River Light
is a decommissioned lighthouse
, U.S., which formerly marked the mouth of the St. Johns River
. It is located on the grounds of Naval Station Mayport
in the Mayport
area. Constructed in 1858, it was decommissioned in 1929 and replaced with a lightship
. It is sometimes known as the "Old St. Johns River Light
" to distinguish it from the modern St. Johns Light
, built in 1954.
The Old St. Johns River Light was the third lighthouse to be erected at the mouth of the St. Johns. It is the oldest one still standing, and is in fact the oldest surviving building in Mayport. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places
in 1976 and underwent restoration in 1980.
The St. Johns River Light was erected in 1858 at Mayport
, on what is now the property of Naval Station Mayport
. It was the third lighthouse to stand at the mouth of the St. Johns River
, and was designed specifically to overcome the previous structures' problems with visibility and erosion. The first St. Johns lighthouse was erected in 1830, after the U.S. purchase of Florida, and was funded by the U.S. Congress. However, it was built too close to the water and had to be demolished only three years later. The second lighthouse was erected in 1835, about a mile upriver. However, view of the light from sea was often blocked by shifting sand dunes
, and by 1853 its foundation was so disturbed by erosion that plans were made to replace it. This structure... Read More