St. Joseph's College School
is an all girls, Catholic high school in downtown Toronto
. It turned 150 years old in the school year 2004-2005, and is renowned for its academic excellence.
History and tradition
St. Joseph’s College School was founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph
of Toronto in 1854--just three years after the first nuns from the order came to the city. Originally called “St. Joseph’s Academy for Young Ladies,” the name was changed to “St. Joseph’s College School, a Residential and Day School for the Higher and Primary Education of Young Ladies and Little Girls” when the school moved to Bay and St. Alban’s Street in 1863. In 1927, the school was renamed “St. Joseph’s College School” when it was moved to a building separate from the convent.
St. Joseph’s College has a long history of promoting girls’ and women’s education. In 1911, the school requested to be affiliated with the University of Toronto
--a request the then-president of the university, Sir Robert Falconer
, granted. St. Joseph’s was officially tied to St. Michael’s College
, the Roman Catholic college of the University of Toronto, in 1912. This resulted in women being able to take courses at St. Michael’s College for the first time.
A Well-rounded education
At St. Joseph’s College School, students are encouraged to combine their academic curriculum with extra-curricular activities. The staff at St. Joseph’s College offer a wide range of after-school... Read More