St. Lawrence Market
is one of two major markets
(the other being Kensington Market
). It is located on the southwest corner of Front and Lower Jarvis Streets. It was established in the early part of the city's history and was once home to Toronto
's first permanent city hall and jail house from 1845 to 1899. It was designed by English immigrant architect Henry Bowyer Lane
, who also designed Little Trinity Church in 1843, Holy Trinity Church in 1847, and expansion of Osgoode Hall in 1844. Lane incorporated his design with Georgian tradition style using white stones and red brick wall. A “cupola” was built on the top front side of the building with a clock. The first floor was formerly Police Station # 1. The south building is located at 92 Front Street East, contained by Market Street, The Esplanade, Lower Jarvis, and Front Street. Currently, it is one of the major markets in Toronto’s downtown core. Over 50 vendors sell fruits, vegetables, meats and cheeses on the lower and first level. The building also has The Market Gallery, operated by City of Toronto, on the second floor and a cooking school (market kitchen) on the mezzanine floor
The illustration below shows "New Market House", which was the Toronto City Hall from 1845-1899. The yellow brick outline of the centre part of that building can still be seen today in the front facade of the current building.
In 1899, the City of Toronto decided to vacate the facility and move to a new city hall... Read More