‘’St. Lucia Botanical Gardens
, also known as the Diamond Botanical Gardens
, is home of the Diamond Waterfall and the oldest botanical gardens on the island of St. Lucia. The botanical garden is located in the town of Soufrière, in the South-Western region of the island St. Lucia.
The Sulphur Springs from which the town of Soufriere got its name are a weak spot in the crust of an enormous collapsed crater, the result of a volcanic upheaval of gigantic proportions that took place some 40,000 years ago. Similar hot springs feed the mineral baths on the Diamond Estate, built originally in 1784 for the troops of King Louis XVI of France, so they could benefit from the therapeutic waters.
The Baron de Micoud, Governor of St Lucia at that time, sent samples of the hot spring water back to France to be analyzed by the "Médecine du Roi". They were found to contain the same healing powers as Aix les Bains in France and Aix la Chapelle (or Aachen) in Germany.
The King was sufficiently impressed to allocate the necessary funds to construct a building with a dozen large stone baths fed by a catchment that still operates today. For about eight years they were put to good use, but then during the French Revolution and the Brigand War, the bath house, like so many buildings at the time, was totally destroyed. The baths gradually became overgrown and hidden by the bushes, until Andre du Boulay, the owner of Soufriere Estate and Diamond decided in 1930 to excavate and repair two... Read More