Saint Mark's Episcopal Cathedral
in Minneapolis, Minnesota
is one of two cathedrals
in the Episcopal Diocese of Minnesota
. It was built as a parish church overlooking Loring Park
in 1910. In 1941, it was designated a cathedral when the bishop
's office moved to Minneapolis from the Cathedral of Our Merciful Saviour
The cathedral hosted the first World Congress of the Anglican Communion
to be held outside of the United Kingdom in 1954, and hosted 1976 General Convention
in Minneapolis which officially accepted the ordination of women
as priests and adopted the current Book of Common Prayer
used in the United States
In 2003, St. Mark's hosted the General Convention at which the election of Rt. Rev. V. Gene Robinson
as Bishop of the Diocese of New Hampshire
was confirmed, making him the Episcopal Church's first openly gay, noncelibate bishop.
In 2007, following the collapse of the Interstate 35W bridge
in Minneapolis, St. Mark's hosted an interfaith
service of healing.
On June 1, 2008, St. Mark's celebrated their 150th anniversary as a parish church with a celebratory mass.
There is a Biblical garden
on the cathedral grounds.