St. Mary's Convent High School
is a school for girls in the North Goa town of Mapusa, India
The school was set up in 1948, in the then Portuguese
colony of Goa, when formal schooling for women was unusual. It was launched by the Apostolic Carmel
Congregation of Mangalore.
On January 1, 1948, two nuns -- Mother Mercedes, who later on became the first Superior of St Mary's -- and Sr Augsta, were sent from Mangalore to Margao. They met up with two other members of the Congregation, Sr Nympha and Sr Ephigenia. The four went to Mapusa, and were founders of the school, which completed six decades of existence in 2008.
Some 130 girls were taken over from the nearby Jesuit
school currently called St Britto
. By June 1948, the student number rose to 187. The first inspection took place in October of that year, though the school was not yet officially recognised.
Facing a lack of water, very little money, and hard times, they were housed in the building where the kinder garten section long later operated.
In 1950, the school opened a boarding house with six boarders. On August 28, 1950, the school was recognised. In 1952, the convent sent up its first batch of 14 students for the Matriculation examination.
More students, Lyceum building
By 1959, the nuns had a chance to extend their education to more girls. In 1963, they were able to move into the Lyceum building. Following the end of Portuguese rule in Goa, Mapusa developed into a centre for the surrounding... Read More