The station was built in 1924 and served as the terminus for the private Gråkallbanen, who until 1966 were not allowed to let on or off people along the tram line they shared with the city owned Trondheim Sporvei. The operation of the tram was taken over by Trondheim Trafikkselskap in 1974. From 1973 the line continued on to Voldsminde and later in the 80's to Lade, and didn't stop at St. Olavs Gate. After Gråkallbanen was reopened in 1990 the station again became the terminus for the line. Until 1946 the trams had to change direction at St. Olavs Gate, but that year a loop was built at the station so the trams could continue on without changing direction.