St Patrick's College
is the oldest Catholic
boys' secondary school in New Zealand
Founded by Archbishop Francis Redwood SM
, St Patrick's opened on June 1, 1885 with nine day-boy
and twelve boarders.
The College represents one of the earliest educational establishments of the Society of Mary
the religious congregation whose members accompanied Bishop Jean Baptiste Pompallier
to New Zealand in 1838, and who played a prominent role in the establishment of the Catholic
church in New Zealand. The first members of staff, Irish Marists who came principally from the Marist College at Dundalk
,established a number of Marist colleges such as St Bede's College, Christchurch
and St John's College, Hastings
in New Zealand.
Plans in 1931 envisaged the College moving to a more suitable site at Silverstream
in the Hutt Valley
, but a high demand for education eventually led to a split: the original establishment continued and the boarding section moved to become St Patrick's College, Silverstream
, thus allowing room for the expansion of day-student numbers on the Cambridge Terrace site in central Wellington city.
From that time the city college has borne the nickname "St Pat's Town". The two separate Colleges bearing the same name have developed a shared history,and a healthy rivalry. They share an Old Boy's Association. In 1979 St Patrick's College shifted from its Cambridge Terrace site to a new facility near Kilbirnie
Green in Evans Bay.
The... Read More