<!-- Infobox begins --> <!-- Infobox ends -->St. Peter's
(formerly known as "Port Toulouse" and "St. Peters") is a small incorporated village located on Cape Breton Island
in Richmond County
, Nova Scotia
St. Peter's is located on a narrow isthmus
which separates the southern end of Bras d'Or Lake
, known as St. Peters Inlet, to the north from St. Peters Bay on the Atlantic Ocean
to the south. The isthmus is crossed by the St. Peters Canal
and is almost exclusively used by pleasure boats
in recent decades.
St. Peter's is also located on Trunk 4
, the province's east-west trunk or secondary highway. An expressway, Highway 104
, is scheduled to be extended from its present terminus several kilometres west of St. Peter's to Sydney
. When this occurs, Highway 104 will carry the Trans-Canada Highway
designation on Cape Breton Island, for which Highway 105
is presently designated.
The Nicholas Denys Museum is located in the village. St. Peter's was also formerly served by a Canadian National Railways
branchline which was abandoned in the early 1980s.
French Colony (1630-1758)
St. Peter's is one of North America's oldest European settlements, tracing its history to the 1630s when a small fortified settlement named "Saint Pierre" was built by merchants from La Rochelle
on the isthmus. In 1650, La Rochelle merchant Nicholas Denys
took possession of Saint Pierre and encouraged the fur trade
with local members of the......