St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church
is located at 1529 Assembly St. in Columbia, South Carolina
. This is the second building of the oldest Catholic parish in Columbia and the Midlands
of South Carolina
The first resident Catholic priest came to Columbia in 1820. St. Peter's first church, designed by the South Carolina architect Robert Mills
, was completed in 1824. This church was demolished in the early 1900s to build the new sanctuary.
The new church was designed by Frank Pierce Milburn
, who was a Southern architect
. The planning and fundraising was done largely by Father Thomas J. Hegarty. Construction started in 1906 and was completed in 1908. The dedication was in January 1909.
The Gothic Revival
church was built with dark red brick with Bedford stone and dull glazed terra cotta
trim. The roof was Buckingham Slate
. The spire is topped with a cross and is 163 ft (49.7 m) above grade.
The church has a cruciform
plan with a high nave. It is 131 ft (40 m) long and 79 ft (24.1 m) wide. The nave
is 64 ft (19.5 m) long and 51 ft (15.6 m) tall. The 3,500 lb (1,591 kg), 55 in (1.4 m) diameter bell was cast in 1911 by McShane Bell Foundry
in Baltimore, Maryland
The church graveyard is to the rear of the church.
The St. Peter's Church is on the National Register of Historic Places
, No. 89001610. The South Carolina Department of Archives and History has additional pictures and information.