St. Theresa's College
, (also called STC
, is a Catholic private school for girls run by the Missionary Sisters of the "Immaculati Cordis Mariae" or Immaculate Heart of Mary (ICM).
STC offers programs from the kindergarten through the elementary and secondary levels. As an ICM school, its educational program draws inspiration from Mother Marie Louise De Meester
, Foundress of ICM.
Its students are called “Theresians”, from the name of its patroness St. Teresa of Avila
Heading the school for the ICM sisters is Sr. Josefina Nebres, the school directress.
Mother Marie Louise De Meester
(born on April 8, 1857 in Roesalare, West Flanders, Belgium) and her novices arrived on the shores of Tagudin, Ilocos Sur on June 21, 1910. Tagudin became the foundation of the ICM missionary work throughout the Philippines which gave birth to institutions of learning in the country including the different campuses of St. Theresa's College.Mother Marie Louise De Meester founded St. Theresa's College, Manila (STCM) in 1915 at the invitation of the Most Reverend Jeremiah James Harty
, the first American Archbishop of Manila. When World War II wrought havoc on the St. Theresa's College in San Marcelino, Manila, leaving it in ruins, little hope was left for the rebuilding of its physical structure. While St. Theresa's College Manila was re-built, re-opened and continued to be run by the Belgian Sisters until 1980 (over a three-year phase out; STCM property was sold to......