St. Theresa School
is a private Catholic school
located at 2701 Indian Mound Trail, Coral Gables
. It is the parish school for the Church of the Little Flower
In December 1922, the head of the order of the Sisters of St. Joseph
, the Reverend Mother Marie Louise purchased from George Merrick six acres of land on Indian Mound Trail. This location was the highest elevation in the entire city. Ground was broken in October 1924 for the first unit of the new St. Joseph's Academy and construction was completed in September of 1925. The convent was on the third story of the school.
Mother Marie Louise and five other sisters were the first teachers. The St. Joseph's Academy formal opening was September 15, 1925. During the first school year, seventy students enrolled, six of whom were boarders. The first graduating class of thirteen eighth graders and one twelfth grader was on May 28, 1926.
In 1932, St. Joseph's Academy was renamed St. Theresa School. By 1936, there were 450 students and 12 full time teachers. There was a new kindergarten building in 1947. In 1948, Father Comber had built a separate new convent.
In 1956, school enrollment was 1200. The last high school graduating class was in 1958 and had 42 graduates. The last ninth grade class was in 1959 and the school continues to have eight grades.
The Sisters of St. Joseph had the responsibility for teaching at St. Theresa School until 1987. The Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles
assumed... Read More