) is a civil parish
and a large village on the north coast of Cornwall
, United Kingdom
. The village is situated approximately five miles (8 km) north of Redruth
and ten miles (16 km) southwest of Newquay
<!-- THIS MATERIAL REQUIRES VERIFICATION AND SOURCES; IT ALSO NEEDS TO BE RE-WRITTEN There are many unused mines in the area may of which are open for tourists to view. the beach is a 5 minute walk from the centre of the town. the town has many welcoming NOTE NPOV festivals, including a Victorian fair day on the 1st of June. -->
Historically, St Agnes and the surrounding area relied on fishing
. At their height about 100 mines employed 1000 miners. Mining came to an end in the 1920s and many of these mines are still on view for any tourists.
St Agnes is a popular tourist destination. Much of the Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape
( a World Heritage Site
) is in the parish. The coastal area is maintained by the National Trust
and is designated part of the Cornwall Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB). There are beaches at Trevaunance Cove
and Chapel Porth
and the area has many way-marked coastal and country walks.
The St Agnes area has a heritage of industrial archeology
and much of the landscape is of considerable geological
interest. There are also stone-age
remains in the parish. The manor of Tywarnhaile was one of the 17 Antiqua......