St Columban’s College
is a Catholic
, co-educational day school
, catering for approximately 880 students from years 8 to 12.
The College was established in 1928, and is situated on a 12 hectare site at Caboolture
St. Columban's College was established in 1928, at Albion
, as a boys college by the Congregation of Christian Brothers
1985 was the last year of the Brothers presence following the decision to hand the administration of the College to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Brisbane
. Three brothers stayed on teaching during this year. The first lay principal, Mr Peter Crombie, took up his appointment in 1985.
In 1988 and 1989 the intake for Year 8 slowly dropped. Great efforts were made to attract more students but despite these efforts the drop in numbers became steady and continuous. In 1989 number had dropped to 425 students when only 15 years earlier, numbers were at 800. Subsequently, a decision was made some 10 years later to relocate the College to Caboolture and to become a co-educational college.
Founded in 1928 on an Albion hilltop site overlooking the city of Brisbane, St Columban’s College commenced as another practical outreach by the Congregation of the Christian Brothers, in providing readily accessible education for young... Read More