St Cuthbert Without
or simply St Cuthbert
is a civil parish
within the City of Carlisle
The parish lies immediately to the south of Carlisle
itself and comprises the following settlements - Blackwell
and Wreay (the first three are usually regarded as outlying parts of Carlisle, although were not part of the former county borough
of Carlisle). According to the 2001 census it had a population of 2,043.
The civil parish was formed in 1866 and has seen various boundary changes during its existence, mostly due to the expansion of Carlisle, although the former separate parish of Wreay was absorbed in 1934.
The parish is named after St Cuthbert's Church
in Carlisle city centre. The "Without" part of the name means this was the part of the ecclesiastical parish
of St Cuthbert's that was outside the city boundary or walls. The original civil parish of Carlisle St Cuthbert was split in 1866 to form St Cuthbert Without and St Cuthbert Within - the latter of which became part of a merged Carlisle civil parish in 1904.
St Mary's Church in Wreay, built in 1842, is notable for its architecture.
At one time the parish included the modern Carlisle suburbs and districts of Botchergate, St Nicholas, Currock, Upperby and Harraby.
and West Coast main railway line
all run through the parish. The A6 meets the M6 at junction 42 (the Golden Fleece Roundabout) in Carleton. At different times there have been railway stations
at Wreay... Read More