St George's was the first of three commissioners' churches to be built in Sheffield under the Church Building Act 1818 (the other two being St Mary's Church, Bramall Lane and St Phillip's Church, Netherthorpe). The church was designed by Woodhead and Hurst at a cost of £15,181 (£ as of ), the whole cost being met by the Church Building Commission. It was built in the Perpendicular style, long and wide, and consisted of a flat-ceilinged nave with six bays, a single-bay chancel, and a high tower.Levesley, Gerald (1975). Third Jubilee: The History of the Church and Parish of St. George, Sheffield 1825—1975. Published by The Parochial Church Council of St. George, Sheffield.. Sheffield & District Family History Society (accessed 11 February 2006). and the church was consecrated by Archbishop Vernon Harcourt on 29 June 1825.