is a preparatory school
. The school is co-educational, day and boarding, offering both weekly and flexi-boarding, and has 280 pupils aged 4 to 13 years.
St Hugh's was founded in Kent
in 1906. It moved in 1945 to Carswell Manor
, a fine Jacobean country house with extensive grounds and playing fields and excellent, modern educational facilities. The school sends pupils to Marlborough, St Edward's, Rugby
, Radley, Abingdon
, Oundle, Cheltenham, Malvern College
, Stowe, St Helen's & St Katharine's and many other public schools. Over the last five years, 50 scholarships have been won.
The school bears the name of Hugh of Avalon
, Bishop of Lincoln
from 1181 to 1200. It is a member of the Independent Association of Preparatory Schools
and is administered as a charitable educational trust by a board of governors. For many years St. Hugh's was solely a boys' full boarding school but since 1977 it has been co-educational.
Among its more famous old boys are John Bryan Ward-Perkins
. The current headmaster is Mr Andrew Nott.
There are four houses, whose names refer to the four different locations of the school during the last hundred years:
- Bickley - Blue
- Malvern - Red
- Carswell - Yellow
- Chislehurst - Green
St. Hugh's coaches three main sports for boys and girls during the year and other sports are taught during P.E.