St James Park
is a football stadium
and is the home of Exeter City F.C.
The stadium is served by the St James Park railway station
which is right next to the ground (the line runs behind the Grandstand
). (It has been adopted by the club who contribute to its upkeep, under the community rail
scheme, and its railings have been painted in the red and white of Exeter's strip).
The current capacity of St James Park is 8,830, however the record attendance is 20,984, who watched Exeter lose 4-2 to Sunderland
in an FA Cup Sixth Round Replay in 1931.
In 1654 the land was owned by Lady Anne Clifford
who rented it out for fattening pigs. The proceeds went to a charity set up to pay for the apprenticeship of a poor child from the parish of St Stephen, an arrangement that was supposed to be renewed "yearly to the world's end." Pigs were resident for nearly 250 years and in later times, were joined by other tenants of low repute and was also home to Exeter United FC
. In 1904, the ground was leased to the newly formed Exeter City FC with the new contract stipulating that "no menageries, shows, circuses or steam roundabouts
" were to be allowed on the premises.
In the grounds early days, some visiting clubs complained about the ground claiming it wasn't regulation length, and both Stoke
(in 1909) and Reading
(1910) refused to play FA Cup games at the ground, although the matter was resolved in 1920 when the club purchased the land east of the... Read More