A small station named Lion's Holt Halt was opened in the cutting west of Blackboy Tunnel on 26 January 1906. was opened at the same time to the east of the tunnel but was closed in 1928.
The name of Lion's Holt was changed to "St James Park" on 7 October 1946, the name of the Exeter City F.C.football ground, which is next to the station. The club has adopted the station under the community railways scheme and contributes to its upkeep.
Although there are two platforms, the northernmost platform (Platform 2 - toward Exmouth) is very short (about 37m) and can only be served by a one or two (20m) coach train. Other train formations such as a Class 158 must use selective door opening or single door opening. The Exeter-bound platform (Platform 1) is about 73m in length.
About half the trains on the Avocet Line from Exmouth railway station to call at St James Park. Beyond St Davids they generally continue to either or . Connections are available at for and stations to London Waterloo as these trains run through St James Park without stopping; passengers for other main line stations change at Exeter St Davids.
Three peak services currently start/terminate at St... Read More