St Kilda railway station
is a former railway station
located in the Melbourne
suburb of St Kilda
and was the terminus of the St Kilda railway line
of the Melbourne suburban rail system
. It is the oldest surviving railway station building in Victoria, and one of only three to have a 19th century train shed
). The building is currently used as retail premises.
The line to St Kilda was built by the Melbourne and Hobson's Bay Railway Company
to serve tourists to the seaside resort, with tenders were called for earthworks and buildings at St Kilda on 3 November 1856 and the line opened on 13 May 1857 with a banquet in the station.
The building was of restrained Italianate design
, with face brickwork and stucco
mouldings, and originally featured a semicircular portico
on the south-western face of the station building. The station had a single platform, with the train shed supported by iron columns trimmed with a timber valence, and a bluestone retaining wall ran along Canterbury Road. An engine depot and carriage shed were built later in 1856.
In 1859, MHBRC paid St Kilda and Brighton Railway Company
£5,000 to build a loop line from St Kilda to Windsor
, the line being extended to Brighton Beach by 1861 on what is now the Sandringham line
. However a more direct route from Windsor to the city was built in 11 months later, and the loop line was dismantled in 1867. In 1878... Read More