St. Michael Queenhithe
was a church
in the City of London
located in what is now Upper Thames Street
. First recorded in the 12th century, the church was destroyed during the Great Fire of London
in 1666. Rebuilt by the office of Sir Christopher Wren
, the church was demolished in 1876.
Pre-Fire London had seven churches named after the Archangel Michael
, of which five were rebuilt after the Fire. Queenhithe
is still the name of the ward which the church was located in, and a dock on the Thames near to the church.
The earliest reference to the church is as St Michael Aedredeshuda
in the 12th century (Aethelredhyth being an earlier name for Queenhithe). The church was also recorded as St Michael upon Thames, St Michael in Huda, St Michael de Hutha Regina
and St Michael super Ripam Regine
described it as “A convenient church but al the monuments therein are defaced.”
During the Great Fire, Charles II
and the future James II
“came down from Whitehall by boat to Queenhithe and, from a high rooftop, saw dwellings, Company halls and churches blazing.” The flames soon engulfed St. Michael Queenhithe.
The church was rebuilt, incorporating some of the old walls, between 1676 and 1686 at a cost of £4375. The parish was combined... Read More